Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Film Length Question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member DammitJanet's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 20th, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Let me get this straight. I can only buy Super8 film in cartridges of just over 3 minutes? Is there nothing out there that goes longer? I'm just getting started and I may want to film something feature length(over an hour). Does that mean I have to buy tons of film carts? Thanks a lot! --Blake

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's true!

    -and even truer when you decide to go to 24 FPS (2.5 minutes) vs 18 FPS(3:20). Then you factor in the amount of film you shoot vs. the amount you use and the number of cartridges rises still.

    There are a number of people who successfully use Super-8 for feature length films, but it's challenging! (Didn't even mention the sound thing...)

    I find it's a great medium for short films (5 to 20 minutes) and I'm content to leave it at that. I doubt I'll ever have a concept that would stretch out to feature length anyway.

    Just for reference: I have one feature length print in my collection of commercial Super-8 films. It is 1,800 Feet (equivalent to 36 cartridges)

    This guy is launching a 400 foot Super-8 magazine:

    http://www.supermag400.com/index.htm

    This would go 20 minutes at 24 FPS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •